Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Works for Me -- Cheap, Organic Food


This isn't especially brilliant, and honestly, I'm not even sure it's "Works-for-Me-Wednesday" appropriate. But I wanted to share it, and this seemed like as good a time as any.
*
*
I discovered one day, quite accidentally, that sometimes, you can actually save money by buying organic. For instance, yesterday, I needed sour cream. I was about the purchase the 16 oz., store brand sour cream, for $1.16. Until I wandered to the "health" section of the store. It was there I found two, 16 oz. containers of organic sour cream marked down to 25 cents each. Why? Yesterday was its expiration date. They had several containers of yogurt, as well, also 25 cents each, for the same reason.
*
*
Now, clearly this won't work for all things, but come on. It's sour cream. It's not like it's going to go sour, ya know? I've had such luck on other occassions, too. Usually with dairy products, though one time I found some tortillias marked way down. *
*
*
Even if you don't normally buy organic, it may be worth it to ocassionally stroll through that section of your store. It Works for Me!