Friday, December 19, 2008

7 Quick Takes

I've always meant to participate in Jen's Seven Quick Takes, but never got around to it. It's now 10:30 on Friday night, and I suppose now is as good a time as any.

1.) The Duggar's just had their 18th kid. I'm sick of people saying that no one could possibly care for and love that many children. Just because you couldn't care for and love that many children doesn't mean that no one can. And yeah, the older kids help with the care of the household and younger children. Kids used to do that all the time. It's called chores. It's part of being a family.

2.) The ASPCA commercials this time of year really annoy me. There's one running now with Sarah McLachlan talking about the all the animals on the streets starving, and all the animals without homes or people to love them, and all the animals who are in abusive homes. There are children on the streets starving. There are children in foster care who would love nothing more than a forever family. There are children in abusive homes. I love animals as much as the next person, but the fact still remains that they are animals. I think people need to get their priorities straight.

3.) Pregnant women should wear maternity clothes. The end.

4.) SpringPad is the new organizational love of my life. The menu-planning "notebook" is especially ingenius. And it's all free. You need to check it out.

5.) Am I the only polite person left in South Dakota? What happened to "please", "thank you", and (heaven forbid!) "excuse me"? I'm sick and tired of people looking at me like I have a third head when I say, "Merry Christmas."

6.) I had my wisdom teeth out last Friday. Now that my teeth have more room, they've been shifting. How do I know? Because all week, my teeth have ached like when I got my braces adjusted. I told Ryan this, and he looked at me like I was on crack (he gives me this look a lot). Please tell me that at least one of my readers had braces and can relate.

7.) Darren can do the sign of the cross by himself. Well, mostly. The "holy spirit" part confuses him, because he can't figure out which shoulder to touch first, since what I direct him to do and what he sees me do are opposite (make sense?). So he just kinda waves his hand back and forth between his shoulders. But since he's not even two, yet, I'm going to count it anyway.

I'm also proud to report that any time we put him in his high chair, he immediately starts the sign of the cross because he knows it's time to pray. We only just started praying before meals in the last month or two, so I'm impressed that he's already made the connection.