Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Family Picture Time

I've always been big on the importance of family pictures. Possibly because my family was so bad about them. We have two family pictures, taken, um, 16 years apart. The first one is when I was about a year old, just me, Mom, and Dad. My brother didn't get in on the family-picture-action until my high school graduation.

Not only that, but I've always loved the idea of sending out Christmas cards, especially the picture cards that people send out. Again, I think my fascination with these is that my mom never bothered to send out Christmas cards. I've always vowed that when I got married and started a family, that darn it, we were going to be taking regular family pictures and we were going to be sending out Christmas cards.

In an effort to make these things happen, Ryan and I have arranged for a co-worker of his to take a family picture for us. For normal people, this means going out and buying a new outfit. Oh, but not me. No sir-ee. As soon as a date was set (October 11), I decided that I needed to pick a pattern. To sew. For me and Leah (well of course we're going to coordinate).

To make matters worse, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted in a dress for myself. I wanted a basic shirt-dress, with a full skirt, 1950s style. (Shocking, I'm sure.) I wanted it to be navy blue, with turned up cuffs and a collar in contrasting fabric (red with small white polka dots). I was sure I had the perfect pattern in my large collection of vintage patterns.

And I did. Unfortunately, I forgot that while I have vintage patterns and vintage taste, I do not have a vintage figure. And while I have always wanted to learn to scale-up patterns, learning to do so on a deadline seemed like a recipe for failure (or at least heavy drinking).

Upon realizing that I do not now, nor will I ever, have a 32" bust (or a 24" waist), I went to Walmart in search of a pattern. Do you think I could find something to fit my vision? Of course not. But would I settle for less than my dream? Would I do something simple, in the interest of time?

Of course not.

And that's how I ended up with these two patterns:




I will be attempting to combine the full skirt from the NewLook pattern with the top of the McCalls pattern (the middle right view). This will necessitate putting a zipper in the side. None of this should be hard. Rationally, I know it should work fine. Unfortunately, whenever I go into things with a positive attitude, disaster ensues.

As such, I am commencing this endeavor with great trepidation. If you're the praying sort, I'd appreciate prayers. If you're of the Catholic variety, prayers can be directed to St. Anne, patroness of seamstresses.

If you're not the praying sort, feel free to send alcohol in lieu of prayers. (Whiskey and tequila will be accepted gratefully.)

PS-->Heather, I saw that you tagged me; I'll do it tomorrow at while I'm at work. I cannot tell you how giddy it makes me to be tagged *<}]:o)