Monday, August 4, 2008

Conversations with an 18 month old....

go something like this:




(I had asked him to bring me my slippers. Every time I said "slipper" he said, "DUUUUH." Which is apparently the only word he knows.)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yesterday was a first for me. I wore a "chapel veil" to mass. If you're Catholic, you probably know that up until the mid 60s, women were required to cover their heads in church. Actually, they were required to do so until 1983, but for various reasons, most stopped in the mid 60s, early 70s. Anyway, up until a year ago, I just assumed that no one did this anymore. Then, at a retreat Ryan and I had to go to before we could get married, we had a mass and I saw a girl my age wearing a chapel cap. I was both shocked and in awe. It takes some guts to wear that. But I also thought it was beautiful. I considered covering my head after that, but decided not to. I just didn't have the guts.

A couple weeks ago, though, I noticed one girl in my church (again, around my age) wearing a veil. And the more I thought about it, the more I liked the symbolism behind it (submission to God, the church, and your husband; respect for the presence of the body of Christ). Then I read 1 Corinthians 11 and felt even more convicted (I really hate that word; it makes me sound so pompous) that I should be wearing one.

I did order a proper veil, but I really wanted to start this Sunday. Enter the doily:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Now please. I beg of you. I have deluded myself into believing that this looks like a proper chapel veil on my head. Please do not tell me any differently.

After convincing myself that I didn't look crazy (in fact, I looked dashing), I left for church. I even cantored (led the songs, up front and center) and it didn't phase me. Much. Ryan did ask jokingly if I was becoming Jewish, and later mocked me by donning a diaper on his head (he really was joking; I was in no way offended). I asked him later, though, if it bothered him. After all, wearing a veil to show submission to my husband, if my husband doesn't like it, doesn't make much sense. Fortunately (and as I suspected) he doesn't care one way or the other. He just said I look like an old lady. (And after knitting since I was 18, I'm used to it.)

I do like wearing it. I feel more reverent, more respectful with it on. I know it's not for everyone, but for me, I feel it's the right choice.