Monday, November 5, 2007

Menu Monday

No "real" pictures, but I figure cute kid pictures are a good substitute. It never ceases to amaze me how much the weather can change from one day to the next. Yesterday, when I took this picture, we went to the park in our shirt-sleeves. It was a balmy 70 degrees. Beautiful!

Today:


(I just learned how to do a "screen cap;" it's my new trick. Bear
with me.) If you can't read that, it's 43 and feels like 34. Amazing what 24 hours will do!

I know I was going to do "Food Friday," but since I had a lame post on Friday, I thought "Menu Monday" would work for this week. Mondays are typically burger night at our house. While we usually have fries with burgers, since Ryan is coming over tonight, we're having more exotic fare: Cheese Corn. Doesn't sound very glamorous does it? And, considering that the original recipe comes from the 1936 Watkins Cookbook, that's not surprising. But, for me, it's comfort food at its best.

The reason this dish even came up in discussion was because of an article I read in "Time." Someone interviewed famous chefs and asked what they would have for their last meal. Overwhelmingly, the answer was simple, homemade, comfort foods. My last meal would be fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, cheese corn, and "real" milk (milk straight from the cow, of course!).

Cheese Corn
1 can corn
1.5 tbsp butter
4 eggs
1 c cracker crumbs
.5 c grated cheese (I use cheddar)
.75 tsp salt
.5 tsp paprika
pepper

Beat eggs; add melted butter. Add mixture to corn, then add seasonings. Add milk; mix well. Add cheese. Pour half into a buttered baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the cracker crumbs. Pour in remaining half of corn mixture and top with remaining cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 until firm, about 30-45 min.

Now that you have the official recipe, I can tell you what I actually do :) First of all, the corn: I don't use a can of corn, I use the corn we have frozen in our freezer. One small Ziplock freezer bag is the perfect amount. I don't actually measure the rest of the ingredients. I've made it often enough I can tell what "looks" right. And I certainly don't layer it in the dish! I just dump it all in a dish (you DO want to grease it, though, if not with butter, then with Pam), give it a good stir, and pop it in the oven. So don't stress over making this recipe!