Monday, November 12, 2007

Accordian--Finito!



Project Specs:

Pattern: Accordian, from Knitty
Yarn: Brunswick Germantown, worsted weight
Needles: Size 6 and 4 (KnitPicks Options, should you care that much)
Size: Ending size was size 2 (see notes for explanation)

Notes: I did a fair amount of tinkering with this pattern. I was able to get guage, but I wasn't happy with it. I like my knitting to be tighter than the average Joe and felt that, especially for a jacket that is (presumably) to keep out cold winds, the guage was way too loose. Let the tinkering begin.... I made the size 4 pattern to end up with a size 2 sweater. Any direction that called for stitches (CO, BO, decreases, etc...) I used the size 4 directions. However, when the directions referred to length (as in the sleeves), I used the size 2 directions.

Clear as mud, huh?

So with that said, I feel there's a mistake in the pattern. On the fronts, after the chest stripe, the pattern tells you to knit for an additional 5 inches before doing the armhole shaping. After the shaping, you're to knit until it's 14" long (then do the shoulder shaping). When I did this, it resulted in front that was 2" longer than the back. I found that if I knit for 2.75" after the stripe I ended up with the right length.



You can see a slideshow of pictures (including a close-up of the zipper) here.