Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Some days....

....I wonder why I knit.

Okay, so not really, but today was almost frustrating enough to make me throw all my yarn out the window. I finally resurrected the Blue Romper from WIP Hibernation:





I started it last January or so, before I had Darren. I made the size 2, thinking, "Oh, this will be done long before he can wear it." You'd think I'd know myself better by now. He's nine months old tomorrow, and the thing still isn't done.

Honestly, after digging it out again, I'm not sure why I set it aside; I had the boring back done (all stockinette and ribbing) and was past the boring part on the front. I had the left front finished in no time:

But the right front has been the bane of my existance. The directions aren't bad, exactly, just pretty vague (I guess back in the 30s they expected a certain amount of "knitting common sense). First, I just plain did the pattern wrong. Then, I had the garter band on the outer edge, instead of in the center, where it could act as a button band. Out came 5 rows. Then, I something wrong with the number of stitches on either side of the pattern. Out came 6 rows. Then, I suddenly realized that I had made my garter band 7 sts too wide; it should have been 6 sts in stockinette, 7 in garter. Out came 8 rows.

The directions are so exceedingly vague, though! "Turn and work to correspond with left front." After frogging the same 8 rows about five times, I finally rewrote the directions for the right front in Excel. (Yes, I triple checked it for accuracy. I'm sure I still managed to make some stupid mistake.)



Amusing blogs I found just now:
Apostrophe Abuse
The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

And last but not least, Darren in his Halloween regalia (edited to remove my greasy face):






(PS-->He's a horse.)