Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Some days....

air conditioning isn't so bad. Like when I have to deal with this--

(Massive Pile of Ironing)

Normally, I'm cheap. So cheap, that I'd rather roast than turn on the AC. But when I have a pile of ironing to do, well, the AC makes it more bearable. Yesterday, Ryan said it was supposed to get "really hot" and he turned on the AC. I think the real reason he turned it on was because he wanted his shirts ironed ;)

Both for my own personal sanity, and to feel better about myself as a wife and mother, I need to keep on the ball with laundry. Part of the problem is apartment living: we don't have a washer and dryer, and the coin-operated ones the complex provides are on the first floor (we are on the second). Carrying laundry up and down stairs is not high on my list of hobbies I enjoy. But I also must admit that part of the problem is sheer laziness on my part. I don't like to do laundry, so I put it off. Unfortunately, the only thing I dislike more than doing laundry is folding and putting it away. Which explains the basket of clean laundry lurking in my closet. (In my defense, I did fold and put away the kids' laundry and diapers.)

I need to adopt, and stick to, a laundry schedule and do a load or two every night, instead of having one, massive, horrible, laundry-filled day.

Proposed Laundry Schedule:
Monday, Thursday: Kids'
Tuesday, Friday: Ours
Wednesday, Sunday: Diapers

Similarly, I should really have some kind of cleaning schedule. But let us not aim too high. Start small, Amanda.....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And speaking of starting small, how's this, Amber?


My first local purchases. Milk, from the local dairy (which was kinda disappointing, taste-wise; I'm going to assume it was a fluke and give it another try), as well as some corn and tomatoes from a road-side stand. (Two demerits for forgetting to bring my own sack.) The corn and tomatoes cost more than I was expecting: $1/ear, and $0.50/tomato (okay, that's really not that bad, but I wasn't expecting that much), but so worth it. The corn was the best corn I've had in ages (I say that every summer). For the 4th, we had corn on the cob, and it didn't hold a candle to this. I may pay slightly more for locally grown items, but the taste and quality is well worth it.

And speaking of costs that are well worth it, I must sing the praises of the Seventh Generation Dishwasher detergent I purchased last week. As I may have mentioned, I was skeptical about the quality of the product, and a bit leery of the price, but I took the plunge. I am delighted with this stuff! Ever since we moved in, I have had issues with getting dishes clean with this dishwasher. Today, I loaded the dishwasher far fuller than I typically do. The dishes came out spotless! I've loaded the washer with half as many dishes, and had them come out disgusting. Cost be hanged, I'm tickled pink to have found something that works!

I'm telling you, though, between my friend, Amber, and the book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", my life may never be the same. A couple of months ago, I would have never considered bringing my own sacks to the store. Now, it's practically second nature. Prior to reading this book (and Amber's blog, of course!), I'd never given much thought to buying locally, and certainly not to buying organic. But the more I learn, the more I can see that it's not only better for the environment, but better for my family's health to do both.

I certainly don't ever expect to be the Queen of Green, but I'm making progress.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Of course, I can't depart for the night without leaving you a recipe.

Supper tonight was Tomato Onion Quiche (another vegetarian recipe, Amber!) and "Suddenly Salad", courtesy of Betty Crocker *blush*. Yes, I used a boxed pasta salad. They were on sale for a buck. It was easy. Want to hear an even bigger confession---I bought a crust for the quiche *gasp*. I just didn't have the time or inclination to mess with a real pie crust. Hey--even old fashioned girls get lazy sometimes.

Recipe alterations: I used mozzarella cheese instead of gruyere. I looked at the gruyere--it was $10 for 4 oz. I was not spending $20 on cheese. Even with the mozzarella, it was very good.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tomorrow's Post: Things I need to do to save money!