Monday, June 23, 2008

Meal Plan Monday

It's Meal Plan Monday over at Organizing Junkie. I'm getting in just under the wire (um....9:30 p.m.), but I really wanted to participate this week.

Meal Plan for the week of June 23rd

Monday: Busy-Mom Roast
Carrots and Potatoes

Tuesday: Runza Casserole

Wednesday: Gumbo (frozen leftovers from the last time I made it) If you've never tried this before, you need to. It is SOOOOO good!

Thursday: Chicken with Onions and Cheese
Parmesan Garlic Potato Slices

Friday: Pork Chops Florentine*
CrockPot Baked Potatoes

Saturday: Philly Cheese Steak Soup*
Rolls

Sunday: Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls*
Grilled Cheese

(*these are from the internet....somewhere; if I find links, I'll post them)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And now for your regularly scheduled post....

Tonight, supper was Busy-Mom Roast. (I think I'd probably call it "Lazy-Mom Roast", but "Busy" sounds better, I suppose.) Here's the recipe such as it is:

3-3.5 lb roast, frozen
1 can of Coke
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
carrots, potatoes, onions, if desired

Put frozen roast in CrockPot; top with remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 7-8 hours.

My roast wasn't frozen, so I put it in at noon on high. It was....okay. It wasn't the greatest roast I've ever had, but it was easy, and if I were in a pinch, I'd probably make this for supper again. However, it wasn't so great that I'd plan to make roast this way again. (And with a can of Coke as an ingredient, one certainly can't argue that it is a healthy way to prepare roast.) Overall, I'd give this a B-. Not bad, but not something I'll go out of my way to make again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

How about some randomness?

Ever heard of the FlyLady? She's kind of over the top sometimes (don't sign up for her emails unless you're prepared to be deluged), but taken with a grain of salt, she's got some good ideas. My personal favorite of the moment? Shine your sink.

The first thing you do on her "program", regardless of how messy and chaotic your house is, is shine your sink. The premise is that it's something small and relatively easy to do, thus you gain an immediate feeling of accomplishment. After you've done the initial shining, you do a quickie version of this every night before bed.

I'll admit, I thought she was off her rocker. My apartment is by no means a sty, but there are certainly things I could be doing other than shining my sink. Lately, I've taken to doing this after supper, and I think she's on to something. It's nice to wake up in the morning to a clean sink. There's something depressing about waking up to dirty dishes, no matter how few. Plus, if I run a sink of water to do dishes (there's always a couple that can't go in the dishwasher), I'm much more likely to do a thorough wipe-down of the counters and stove. Thus, general cleanliness reigns in the kitchen. Yeah, I should scrub the floor more often, but basic sanitation prevails.