Thursday, June 19, 2008

Laundry

Ryan is now convinced that I've gone off the deep end. He may be right.

Tonight I did a couple loads of laundry. Rather than using my own, homemade laundry soap (which, admittedly, is odd enough in and of itself), I tried this:

No, your eyes do not deceive you. I used grapefruit scented, Ajax dish soap.

I belong to several Yahoo groups, and today the topic of diaper washing came up. One woman said that she washed not only her diapers, but all her laundry, with three tablespoons of dish soap. I was perplexed enough to email her. She quickly wrote me back. In an effort to save money, she started using dish soap for her laundry, as it was the cheapest option. She recommended Ajax, as she found it produced the most suds for the least amount of money. She was pleased to discover that it was also more effective than ordinary laundry soap. Not only did she use dish soap in her top loader, but she used the same amount in her front loader, as well.

I'll admit, I was still skeptical. I had visions of bubbles cascading out of the laundry machine. But, she did say that she had been doing this for years. What the heck, thought; I'll give it a try.

Initially, I was conservative. I started with one tablespoon. I let it agitate for a bit and opened the lid, expecting the worst. Surprisingly, I saw only a couple bubbles floating about. At the point, I decided "in for a penny, in for a pound." I dumped in another two tablespoons. Then I threw caution to the wind and put three tablespoons in the front loader as well.

Half an hour later, I went to check on my laundry. What did I find? Nope, not a disaster. Just clean, fresh smelling laundry.

I'm telling ya: life is more exciting off the deep end.